Thursday, 13 June 2013

The first Friday

IPreviously we had all chosen and created games we could play to help us all get to know each other. With help from a spoken word expert we also added ways to make the games appropriate for the visitors and how we should approach leading the games, strategies such as;
-Not shouting
-Being clear but not to firm
-keeping it equal (no split groups of us and the visitors) 
-To help each other when a Brit student is leading if they miss something. Rather than taking over for example saying "do we need to change direction when you clap" and letting them still be in control so our guests see we work as a team

We practiced some games in the morning then we finally met the young adults from the Turn Around Centre.  At first they were reluctant to join in and not very confident with getting involved but I expected this because its a completely different environment for them. 

I was partnered with a boy named Kyle and we had to introduce our selves and state something interesting about us. I went first and babbled a bit to make it less formal. We started having a bit of a laugh and it loosened him up and made him realise we weren't such different people. 

After a few games about 80% of the turn around visitors joined in and got involved. To begin with not all the people that were supposed to be joining us actually did so I started to appreciate them just for coming. Especially the girl Makiah as she was the only girl from their group.

By the end of the day the atmosphere was less tense and we genuinely got to know them for who they are. I like the fact we didn't find out or ask what crimes they committed because I feel that I personally forgot about their backgrounds and enjoyed having a different quality in the room. 

In terms of the finishing product I'm rather nervous as the main element seems to be acting and theatre. I will try to participate but its quite intimidating with so many talented theatre students in the group. Although the turn around visitors are probably feeling the same as me so I will give it a go and I hope I make the most of  it!

No comments:

Post a Comment